How many West Hollywood voters are there, by party?
How many West Hollywood voters are there?
- We estimate that 87% of residents are eligible to vote. The other 13% are minors and/or not US citizens. So there are about 32,000 potential voters.
- 5 out of 6 eligible voters have registered. There are 26,000 registered voters, or 72% of residents. The rest are ineligible (estimated 13% of residents) or eligible but not registered (15% of residents).
- Almost 4 out of 5 registered voters turned out for the 2012 presidential/general election. (It was 9 in 10 in 2008). Doing the math, we estimate that 56% of residents (roughly 20,000) are actual voters, at least in some elections.
- There are fewer voters in years without a presidential election. For example, one-third of registered voters turned out for the 2014 general election.
- For West Hollywood City Council elections, turnout is typically around 1 in 5 registered voters. That means 5,000 or so residents (14%) are actual voters in local elections.
Party preference among West Hollywood voters
62% of West Hollywood voters picked the Democratic Party as their party preference. 9% chose the Republican Party. 24% had no party preference, which is often called “independent.”
Parties in West Hollywood versus nearby cities
The share of Democratic voters was higher in West Hollywood (62%) than in any nearby city. The closest was Culver City at 59%. Beverly Hills was the most different, with 45%. The Los Angeles County average was 52%.
The percentage of Republican voters was distinctly lower in West Hollywood (9%) than in neighboring communities. It was 14% in Culver City, Los Angeles, and Santa Monica. The highest share nearby was 25% in Beverly Hills. The countywide average was 20%.
Parties in West Hollywood versus California cities
For California voters overall, the ratio of declared Democrats to Republicans was roughly two to one: 45% to 27%.
We ranked the 482 cities and towns of California based on the spread between Democratic and Republican voter registration. Compton, Berkeley, and Inglewood were the most Democratic. Villa Park, Indian Wells, and Canyon Lake were the most Republican.
West Hollywood had, relatively speaking, the 21st most Democratic voters (compared to Republicans) among California cities. It is in the 95th percentile.
The table below shows the numbers for each city. You can scroll through the list or sort it by clicking on a column heading.
http://wehobythenumbers.com/index.php/2016/07/20/how-many-west-hollywood-voters-are-there-by-party/http://wehobythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/201607-voter-waterfall.jpghttp://wehobythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/201607-voter-waterfall-300x300.jpgGovernmentPeoplebeverly hills,california,culver city,los angeles,los angeles county,santa monica,voting