How much inclusionary affordable housing has gone to current residents?
Inclusionary affordable housing units are below-market-rate units that developers are required to include in most new residential buildings. They’re reserved for low- and moderate-income households. There were 106 inclusionary units in West Hollywood as of 2013 (June 24 staff report). 82 more units were under construction.
The cost of building these units is borne by the developers, but they get valuable concessions from the public in exchange. For example, they may be allowed to build bigger, taller buildings with fewer parking spaces than zoning would otherwise allow.
The City Council has decided that current residents get priority when inclusionary units are filled. How many have gone to residents?
In 2012 or early 2013, 59% of the people in inclusionary units were West Hollywood residents before they moved in. The other 41% were non-residents. The non-residents were split equally between Los Angeles residents living near West Hollywood and people who lived farther away.
It’s possible that the resident percentage could have changed significantly since then. For example, if all 82 new units went to residents, the percentage today could be 20 points higher. We don’t have the new numbers.
How many residents are on the inclusionary affordable housing waitlists?
The City keeps two waitlists for inclusionary units. According to the 2012 Housing Report, 41% of the households on the low-income waitlist were West Hollywood residents. That’s about 440 resident households. 32% of those on the moderate-income waitlist were residents. That’s about 23 resident households. We don’t know if the percentages have changed since then.
http://wehobythenumbers.com/index.php/2016/01/17/how-much-inclusionary-affordable-housing-has-gone-to-current-residents/http://wehobythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/residents-in-inclusionary-units-before-moving-in-2012.jpghttp://wehobythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/residents-in-inclusionary-units-before-moving-in-2012-300x300.jpgHousingPerformance (effectiveness)low income,renting